Robopo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this likely to happen?

3 posters

Go down

Is this likely to happen? Empty Is this likely to happen?

Post  The one and only Gerson Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:24 pm

Will robot intelligence ever surpass human intelligence? In some areas? In all areas? In no areas?
The one and only Gerson
The one and only Gerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Is this likely to happen? Empty Data Mining

Post  taylor swift fan Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Using data mining regressions, robots can systematically improve their own algorithms as they gather data. This technique has already been used by things that you are most likely familiar with, such as Google's adsense, Amazon's recommended items, iTunes Genius, and Pandora internet radio, among many others, which analyze the data of millions of consumers to determine what is most effective for enhancing their respective companies' bottom lines...in fact, data mining algorithms, in a general study, have beaten expert predictions in a variety of difficult fields, losing only 8 out of some 136 times to humans...as we expose robots to more and more data, they will gain "intelligence" and improve their algorithms, but I don't think they would generate any features extraneous to what we specifically code them for...Of course, I can always be wrong.

taylor swift fan

Back to top Go down

Is this likely to happen? Empty Re: Is this likely to happen?

Post  Meezy Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:34 pm

it depends on what you mean by intelligence. arguably, robots already historically always have surpassed human intelligence in term computing stuff and running algorithms, etc. but i guess the real question is whether or not robots could become wholly autonomous.

i'd think that the main stumbling block would be whether or not robots would have the ability to reconfigure themselves physically and digitally. if robots are stuck in their intended form--both in terms of what they are programmed to value, and what they physically are--people can always limit the ability of robots to their intended function. for example, google adsense can't conceivably grow robotic arms for two main reasons: first, it isn't programmed to evolve to value the growth of arms at all because it's programmed to prioritize stuff that maximizes ad revenue, but second, it can't because its completely virtual and is programmed to.

so, as long as people are careful about what they make robots prioritize and the physical capabilities of those robots, probably not. but space colonization efforts might call for greater degrees of autonomy for robots, so thats all subject to change.
Meezy
Meezy
Admin

https://robopo.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Is this likely to happen? Empty Re: Is this likely to happen?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum