Robopo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its so cute!... but is it useful?

2 posters

Go down

Its so cute!... but is it useful? Empty Its so cute!... but is it useful?

Post  The one and only Gerson Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 pm

With those advantages in mind, what would be the perfect jobs for robots? Are there any jobs that they couldn't perform? Is Asmio really at all useful (I say no)?
The one and only Gerson
The one and only Gerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Its so cute!... but is it useful? Empty Industrial machinery?

Post  taylor swift fan Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:57 pm

Last I checked robots are used for lots of industrial tasks that 1) cannot be as efficiently/cheaply done by human workers 2) cannot be done to the same degree of quality 3)would put human workers in dangerous conditions. At this point, I don't think robotic technologies will help out people that significantly in terms of actual workplace efficiency. Even if we developed a robot to do something repetitive like fill out paperwork, why would we? We've used computers for that for years now and there isn't anything in an office workplace that is a repetitive manual labor task. ASIMO, in terms of office productivity, is about as useful as a pair of chopsticks while eating a cheeseburger. He is a $1,000,000 robot that can do the following: 1. Recognition of moving objects 2. Recognition of postures and gestures 3. Environment recognition 4. Distinguishing sounds 5. Facial recognition (Wikipedia)...so can your average person! But what makes ASIMO worth working on is not his "abilities" as a worker; rather, it is his usefulness as a marketing tool for Honda. First off, he has established Honda as a world leader in technolgy, and has been featured in his ad campaigns for Honda's "Power of Dreams" or whatever. Secondly, he is a good place for Honda to learn about developing future robotic technology. Thirdly, and of course most importantly, he is really really really adorable...see picture below tongue
Its so cute!... but is it useful? Asimo_marche

taylor swift fan

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum