Robopo
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

more robots = more wars?

Go down

more robots = more wars? Empty more robots = more wars?

Post  The one and only Gerson Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Will the increased use of unmanned vehicles perform on the battlefield, allowing human soldiers to drop back to command from safety, lower the barrier of going to war? If people aren't dying and we think we have a good reason to go and a very good chance to success, what is holding us back?
The one and only Gerson
The one and only Gerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

more robots = more wars? Empty Why not use force? We won't lose a man and we're sure to win!

Post  The one and only Gerson Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm

I fear that diplomatic processes will fall by the way side and more countries will just turn to force to solve their problems. I don't think diplomacy will disappear, because nations still hold to high morals and if a single nation started a meaningless war, the rest of the world would view that very poorly and likely act to end it, either though force or diplomacy themselves. Similarly, it is very expensive to wage wars, so the public won't just let their nation fight for the hell of it, because it still does cost a lot. With that said, I believe the fact that fewer lives will be lost and the cost of a robot army is actually cheaper to maintain than a human army will cause fewer people to oppose wars that don't affect them directly, and offer small gains. Wars will still be fought if they truly believe there is the need, but if America had really gone to Iraq JUST for oil and American soldiers weren't dying, would the protests that arose really have been as large? Plus, since now many can fight and then go home in the same day, war doesn't tear apart as many people, so those families are less against seeing the wars start and persist. Also, leaders themselves will get overconfident, feeling that with robots in their army they are unstoppable, and so will be more willing to say I disagree with what is happening there and am going to use force to stop it (when diplomacy fails). I do not think the world will eventually just erupt into total war, I just feel that nations will go to war sooner and for less good reasons than they have in the past. And while you need to convince human armies of the reason they are fighting and risking their lives, robots obey their orders without question and if you pay enough, there is never a lack of supply.
The one and only Gerson
The one and only Gerson
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum